When entrepreneurs, technology startups and small business begin the journey for intellectual property protection in the United States, trademark application timelines and how to check status in the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) become paramount considerations so as to align with startup launch date.
Trademark registration is an important process for businesses that want to protect their intellectual property. However, the application process can take some time, and it can be difficult to know when you will receive your trademark registration certificate. In this blog post, we will discuss the timelines for pending trademark applications and how to check their status.
Timelines for Pending Trademark Applications
The length of time it takes to receive a trademark registration certificate can vary depending on a number of factors. In general, the process can take anywhere from six months to a year or more. The timeline for your application will depend on the following:
- The complexity of your application – If your trademark is complex or similar to other trademarks, it may take longer for the USPTO to process your application.
- The number of applications currently being processed – If there are a large number of trademark applications currently being processed, it may take longer for your application to be reviewed.
- The responsiveness of your attorney – If you have hired an attorney to help you with your trademark application, their responsiveness can affect the timeline. If they are slow to respond to requests for information, it can delay the process.
- The completeness of your application – If your application is missing information or contains errors, it will take longer for the USPTO to process your application.
How to Check the Status of Your Trademark Application
Once you have submitted your trademark application, you can check its status online through the Trademark Electronic Application System (TEAS). Here’s how:
- Go to the TEAS website and click on “Check Status” in the top right corner.
- Enter your serial number or registration number in the search box.
- Click on “Submit.”
You will be taken to a page that displays the current status of your trademark application. If your application is still pending, you will see a message indicating that it is “Under Review.”
You can also check the status of your application by calling the USPTO’s Trademark Assistance Center at 1-800-786-9199. For more information on Pending Trademark Applications: Timelines and How to Check Status, see Chapter 7 of Tip-Top Trademarks. Brand Protection Blueprint for Business. Now available on amazon.
If your application has been rejected, you will receive a notice from the USPTO outlining the reasons for the rejection. You will have the opportunity to respond to the rejection and provide additional information to support your application.
Trademark registration is an important process for businesses that want to protect their intellectual property. While the application process can take some time, you can check the status of your application online through the TEAS system. If you have any questions about the process or need assistance with your application, you may want to consider hiring an attorney who is an expert in trademark law.